Mellix and Creating a Public Voice
"Writing and rewriting , practicing, experimenting, I came to comprehend more fully the generative power of language. I discovered...that through writing one can continually bring new selves into being, with new responsibilities and difficutlries, but also with new possibiliteis. Remarkable power, indeed. I write and continuously give birth to myself" (Mellix 67).Look at the first two words in this quote--writing and rewriting--it suggests to me a continual process. And maybe that's what Mellix (see pic) is suggesting when she uses the metaphor of "giving birth to myself." How can writing help you "give birth" to yourself?
Mike made an interesting comment in class when we were discussing the idea of a "text"--he said it has to do someting with imagery. What kinds of images take shape when we encounter texts? And what is languages role in creating these images? If you look closely, do you notice that word "image" has a relationship to the word "imagination"?
I hope all the groups were able to share something interesting about Mellix's "From Outside, In." We'll talk more on Thursday about the piece. Sean made some interesting observations to me about the title--he characterized it as from the outside, looking in. How does this title fit with the essay? And be thinking about the elements of discourse competence we were looking at in our groups:
- sensitivity to context
- attentinos to shared knowledge, purpose and ways within a discourse community
- a sense of the different expectations of different discourse communities
- flexible undersadnign of appropriate langauge and style
- willingness to take risks and try new ways of saying something, in speaking or writing
I have put a list of these in the Media Room for quick reference. Tanya, Will and Vita focused on the Mellix's interaction with the police officer Toby as an example of senstivity to context:
"As a child I felt this same doubleness in uptown Greeleyville where the whites lived. "Ain't that a pretty dress you're waering!" Toby, the town policeman, said to me one day when I was fifteen. "Thank you very much," I replied, my voice barely audible in my own ears. The words felt wrong in my mouth, rigid, foreign (Mellix 61).
There choice of quote demonstrates well sensitivity to context--maybe even over sensitivity to context. We then began to think about times when we have actual physical struggles with saying words--can you think of an example in your own life? We brought up the example of being in Court and what happens to your voice there.
The important thing to notice about these elements is how you use them everyday--do you think you could give an example in your everyday life of each of these elements--a time when you were sensitive to context? Or maybe a time when you took a risk with language--said something in class, or to a friend that at first seemed hard to utter?
By the way, the pictures look great--you are handsome bunch. Thank you for being such good sports. Don't forget, class will be meeting in the UL of the Healey Library in either the Green or Gold computer lab. Please bring a soft copy (on disk or in your email) of your Personal Biography and Assignment 6 (Reading History).

23 Comments:
How can writing help you "give birth" to yourself?
I think that she means giving birth as a way of discovering yourself through your writing. The more you write, the more you can discover about yourself. It's like bringing a new part of yourself into a new world. When you write, your mind is free to flow and express it's ideas. You weite whatever enters your head and wether you keep what you write or delete it, there is still some newness to yourself based on what you explored in writing.
I think by giving birth to herself Melix meant she was reinventing herself. As she wrote more and more the words began to take on her personality and vise versa. Not only did the writing become her, she became the writing. At first when she was writing she didn't see herself as the person she was writing about, but as she discovered herself, she could express who she was more clearly.
I found the task in the last class one of the more difficult because there was not a clear cut answer for the words or sentances we were given to define. Its easier to determine things like "sensitivity in text" in your own work or life expeirences then it is in someone elses. I do enjoy the writing responces that have to do with us and our personal expeirences. It gives you a better insight into someone and personally, I love talking about my life and telling stories about my childhood and everything I've been through, thought or cared about.
oh and so you all know i can't spell to save my life.. so don't make fun!
and if you click on my link that was a photo shoot pic so dont say anything!
I definitly have come to realize that I have many different discourse communities in my life. I didn't realize how much I change the way I speak in different settings. The most common thing that I change in my speach is the use of curse words.
writing can help you give birth to yourself because when your writing your putting all your thoughts down on paper. when you go back and read what you wrote, you might pick things up that were in your head, you just passed them by or didnt remember, but since your thoughts at the time are written down, you can take them and make a better analysis of the point you are trying to get across.
With writing you can either enjoy it or hate it. Like Mellix says theres a difference between "writing and rewriting." Writing to mean means putting words on paper just because they sound good and completing the given assignment. It's in rewriting that you find places to add your own personal touch to the text. A way to make it your own. In regards to the title of the story "From Outside, In" Mellix is steping back from her own life to make an analysis of how she lives and how she uses her own language. She describes the proper settings in which she used certain languages and why...and as a result she's able to step out of herself and look at herself instead of looking out of herself.
The thought of your voice being smaller when you are not sure of yourself is interesting. I think we all have places where we are uncomfortable and our voice is smaller, but as soon as you speak up once, it gets easier. I imagine it is like writing. Once you start down a path, you become more sure of yourself and your abilities. Practice might not make perfect, but it can definitely improve your self-esteem.
Writing can help "give birth to yourself" by gaining experience through writing. In other words, the more and more one writes, the better they feel upon their own writing style and voice. Their voice can be a perspective view, or just a certain style. But eventually their voice will stand out among other authors' as unique. One thing i do notice when reading text,is that i can actually imagine the author speaking to me. It is upon myself to understand and use their words to my own benefit.
Writing can help me "give birth" to myself because it is a good way to express my feelings and what I am thinking. Writing also provokes thoughts and makes you think of past experiences. I think writing makes you learn more about youself.
Writing can definetly be very powerful and moving for people, but why would you say you give birth to yourself? And if Melix is always writing and giving "birth" to herself, why cant she spell?
"difficutlries" and "possibiliteis"
Writing can rewriting can tune your writing skills and make you a better writer overall...but I dont think and hope not writing will ever help me give birth to myself
How can writing help you "give birth" to yourself?
Writing as a process can help some people to put a metaphorical part of themselfs into their work. In this way they can create, or "give birth" to a part of themselfs every time they wrote that part of themselfs onto paper. However once birthed, it follows logically that this thing can die, or be killed. Would it be possible for a writer to experience death through their characters?
Indeed,writing giving second birth to youself.By expressing thoughts on paper your giving second birth to them, so your can show them to your teacher, friend and etc.It`s becoms sort of documentary proof that you do have thoughts.
To me writing can certainly help me organize my ideas and get my thoughts across. Sometimes, it even gets me through problems or channel my thoughts. But "giving birth to myself" sounds a bit like poetic cheese to me. Each time I write I discover new ways of expressing myself or put it into tangible form known as the English language. However the ideas are always there for me in my head. Sorry I don't share the passion as this author obviously does.
I think Mellix's metaphor of giving birth to herself over and over again comes from the liberating feeling she gets when she expresses her ideas and understandings about the world and herself as an individual.
Somethimg like the intertextuality of her identity, drawing from experiences and reproducing them and discovering new things as she writes.
Mellix rediscovered herself everytime she wrote something new, that is why she refers to it as "giving birth" to herself.
What does attentinos mean? It's on the fifth paragraph.
"willingness to take risks and try new ways of saying something, in speaking or writing" this is definitly something what i should be doing while i am in the process of learning a new language. I often quesiton myself if i am speaking the standard English or not, and by swetching the two languages (Chinese and English) often gets mix up and confuse, but rather i was right or wrong, i still have to keep on trying.
well,sometimes it's really hard to agree or desagree with the author.
but i really valute any work by how much the author had showed up deeper than what i expected.
how much you surprise me will mean how graet your writing is.
this case i haven't receive any surprise at all.
I believe in writing "giving birth to yourself" is another way of showing people or expressing who you are to people that doesn't know you. Words are powerful and what ever you produce to the world would be their interpretion of you. Just like giving birth to a baby, that child is a reflection of YOU.
The person that posted above is me
my bad
I believe when she used the comment "giving birth" she meant someone finding themselves. Sometimes when you are in one discourse community you seem to lose yourself in the mix. I believe with all the schooling she had she became mechanical and no longer knew who she was as a writer. So when she begin to write in a way she could associate with she gave birth to the person she had aborted years ago when she begin to master "proper English."
when she said "writing and rewriting"she means the more you write the better you will get.I think when you write you put your thoughts and your feeling on a paper.
When she says that everytime she write she continuosly gives birth to herself, to me it means that she learns something new every time she writes. She's able to put down all her thoughts and feelings. She writes and then goes and rewrites to make sure everything is in order. Everytime she writes, it may feel like it's the first time.
Post a Comment
<< Home