Thursday, October 06, 2005

Discourse Competence--Karen's Memoir--Social Identity


That was a full class--a lot to think about. I have enjoyed immensely reading your stories. I hope our focus on discourse competence will help you on your way as you look back at the spoken and written versions.

Gina's example of m&%$#$f*&%^ brought up some really interesting issues about language and context, and how our innate sensitivity to context aids us when we move from discourse to discourse. Even Lynette spoke up when she had a chance to use a curse word in class. When and how we curse (an interesting label for such words) tells us a lot about our discourse competence.

Rocco and Mustapha made the interesting point to about taking risks--when we do that we open up new areas of growth and development. Using language gives shape to these acts we already do--can you find them in your Assignment 8?

I want to draw you attention to an important quote in the book:

"The students who are most academically successful in the long run are those who don't see learning as a simple matter of "you get it or you don't," but who understand that real learning (and real scholarly inquiry) means pushing against the boundries of what you understand easily, and developing strategies for trying again with what seems impossibly difficult to make sense of" (Kutz 94)."

I refer to this quote because it is a good entry into social identity--which we will talk about more on Tuesday. Understanding identity seems to be inextricably linked to language, and trying on new identies can sometimes be uncomfortable or even frightening. Identity is hard enough without the notion that we are constantly trying on new identities and mixing them too. If you had to define your identity, could you? What words would you use? Are these your labels, or someone elses? What values would you include as part of your identity kit (Kutz 91)? And can this knowledge help in the writing of your memoir?

Have a safe weekend. Please write or call with any questions. I will see you on Tuesday. C
image source: http://photos1.blogger.com/img/296/2005/640/AC%20Cursing.jpg

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

History of the F word...Using proper english...check it out

http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/history.htm

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dont have anything interesting or insightful to say... but, since were supposed to comment ... ummm... I like the music idea... ya... so.... this shows I took time to look at the blog right? ok bye
oh and I laugh the most in this class then any other... its a good thing!

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home