Understanding "The Mind of the Militias" and the Delta Press Catalog

Here are two examples of secondary texts to aid in defining a discourse community. First, we have a short, scholarly essay by psychologist Peter Doskoch analyzing the "mind" of the militia. As a supplement to the essay, we have "primary" evidence in the shape of an actual militia catalog. How do the two taken together deepen our understanding about the discourse community of the militia as portrayed in BFC?
There are two ways you can comment for this blog entry: You can comment (at least once and thoughtfully) on an aspect of any of the readings that interests you. One example would be to share a gloss and explain your connection to it. You may also respond to an issue one of your classmates has raised. Please make an effort to include quotes as textual evidence, and feel free to comment more than once.

17 Comments:
When does fear take over your lifestyle? To many of these militia members, fear is the underlying reasoning as to why they use and own guns. In Peter Doskoch's The Mind of the Militias he states that voters want "government off their backs" and that "...militias believe that the Feds are not only on their backs but up their pant legs, in their pockets..." Most Americans I know don't live with a fear of government, and they don't sleep with firearms under their pillows. These militia members, I feel, have something to say which isn't being told. Like we saw in Bowling for Columbine , Michael Moore introduces us to the Michigan Militia where he is told that its for our saftey to have firearms with us at all times. When Moore went to James Nichols' home, he finds a firearm under Nichols' pillow. But why? I feel as though because we allow these people to own guns in their houses, it's making life much more stressful for them. When you drive on route 90 (the Mass Pike) you see a huge billboard right behind Landsdown Street stating that in Massachusetts we have strict gun laws. Since we have these strict gun laws, could that be a reason as to why there is no Massachusetts Militia? You never hear people in MA saying, the government is out to get us, or that we should "cut out the middle man" and protect ourselves. But I don't know all the answers to my questions, but one point that Doskoch brings up is that militias are more "...than weapons traning and scampering around the woods in camouflage. They also give members a place to fit in." Maybe that is why these Michigan Milita members and other militia members are so content in making firearms legal for everyone. These guns equal power to them, something they may strive to attain but never could or will, and these weapons are their saftey.
One of the most disturbing things I found in the readings was in the Delta Press Ltd. catalog. Labeld as "The World's Most Outrageous Catalog" it had one book called: The Survival Bible in it. The description states that it is "200 pages of crutial information" and it is an "ABSOULTE NECESSITY" and it also states it describes the "can't-do-without supplies" so you can "...take care of your family". How much of this description is a facade though? It uses strong adjectives such as "crutial" to describe how much you need this book, it's a lure, an advertisement. But it's not just an advertisement, I feel it's a pressure, labeling it the "Survival Bible" makes it seem as though it's the strongest piece of literature you will ever own, much like what the Catholic Church views their Bible as. I felt it was disturbing because these people are extremely insecure with themselves, they feel as though the government is totally against them, not there to help.
The Delta Press Catalog is one of the craziest things I have ever seen. In "The Militia Battle Manual" they say that by the time you need this book, it won't be for sale. And for good reason! They tell you whether you need to defen yourself from "...our government, foreign occupation, or you damned neighbors..." Well, the MIchigan milita said that they were all happy old folks who would invie their neighbors over for dinner and yet the "manual" is going to teach them how to defend themsef against said neighbor. I have to wonder why these militais feel so threatened by the government. In the essay by Frank Doskoch, it is mention that the militas have "dehumanized and defaced" the government. They say its becasue they feel far away from the government and their decisions, but that is their own fault. You dont listen or read anything unless it is produced by fellow militia men and they dont seem to voice their opions towards government, instead they get ready to shoot and kill the leaders of the country. I really think that the people invloved in militias need to reevaluate who they are trying to protect. Fight in Iraq, fight for freedom of people in third world coutries, but leave your neighbors and government leaders out of it.
These people are fanatics. There is no reasoning with these people, they believe that the Armageddon is coming and they are going to survive it. This has been a problem for hundreds of years since the crusades. These people are just as fanatical as suicide bombers that think they will receive 60 virgins when they blow themselves and everyone else away. Logic and reason are foreign concepts to these people, and it would be best if we all just left them alone.
This country have people to protect us. These people believe that they are the only ones that can defend themselves and loved ones. I believe they are just gun fanatics. They feel poweful having a gun.
I was so amazed and shocked when I saw delta Press Catalog.It is amazing to me that media is contributing to creating violence,cruelty.It it amazing what king of books we have out! They teach you how to fake an identity,master the lock system.Those t-shirts with those cruel,disturbing messages! On the other hand , this is what people want to read,wear. Or else there would be no demand for it!I think media is pushing people's buttons,wants to get the reaction.But viovence is not the answer!
So That cataloge is pretty crazy, but to be honest its also pretty interesting. My roomate who's completely normal and sane called the 1-800 number and ordered it after I showed her a couple pages, not because shes a insane suicide bomber or wants to pick peoples locks, but for pure interest that these products actually exsist and are sold. Delta is obviously meant for criminals. No one needs a realistic looking police badge or Nazi posters. Its sort of like a train wreck tho, you can't look away. We want to see the whole cataloge for ourselves now.
That cataloge is insane,obviously those people(Militias) dont trust the almighty Government and they have the freedom to do or dont.right after the ww2 the U.S government started acting crazy,attaking people here and there(Vietnam,Korea,Panama,Egypt,the golf one and two,Kosovo...)wars and the militias are affraid that maybe american people will be next.
After all,people created the Government not the opposit,so people should be stronger than the goverment other wise they will be under the mercy of what they had created just like the third world countries and that's the difference between be and not to be.
Wow! This is a very interesting asssignment. The catalogue is not so much shocking as it is interesting. I always knew that books like those existed, and I am actually curious to read some of them. Its amazing that all those types of books are togethor in one book.
Also, the reading is very interesting. The history of militia's is interesting, and also how they come about, gain strength, and thier motivations are all described in this essay insightfully and descriptively.
4 words....Corrupt Politics, Guns, War, and God
I actually find the catalogue slightly interesting. Some of the text sold in the catalogue can be usefulif we have another Katrina. Some of the survival tactics could be adapted to situations of that nature. But it is asd to say that is not what they use it for.
i think that the catalogue is very interesting, but at the same time scary. it all depends on who is reading it and what side you are on. to the people who get these magazines it is very normal and ordering things isnt strange. to someone else from another dc it can be very upsetting, especially people who are agaisnt violence. it just all depends on peoeples beliefs and their morals. it doesnt bother me, if thats what they like and that adds fulfillment into their lives, let them do it. its a free country.
Well, “shared knowledge” indeed, or lack of those push people to create “militia” organization with violence behavior. Frank Doskoch said in his work:” militias: young to middle aged white males in rural areas. “Worker bees are the movement tends to be much lower – education than general population”. Low education and poverty make people aggressive and violent, shooting for them it is a relief of their anger and jealousy toward they never had: money, parents love…. What’s gives power to people: knowledge’s (hard one to get) and guns (easy ones). Unfortunately, the majority would go for” easy to get”….
Well, “shared knowledge” indeed, or lack of those push people to create “militia” organization with violence behavior. Frank Doskoch said in his work:” militias: young to middle aged white males in rural areas. “Worker bees are the movement tends to be much lower – education than general population”. Low education and poverty make people aggressive and violent, shooting for them it is a relief of their anger and jealousy toward they never had: money, parents love…. What’s gives power to people: knowledge’s (hard one to get) and guns (easy ones). Unfortunately, the majority would go for” easy to get”….
"Wielding a powerful weapon instills a sense of purpose or invincibility, particularly for the economically or socially disenfranchised."
I thought about this quote over and over again. After doing this had one question in my mind and that was "why do these miltia men need to be invincible?" It seems that Peter Doskoch thinks that militia men join only for the feeling of belonging. Nothing else can satisfy thier needs like a militia can. I think militia men seem to be outcasts in society, all forming together with the sole purpose of loving guns. It is that right they choose to exercise and seem to be against the government and politics. I wonder what goes in the head of one of these militia men. To tell u the truth, I think they are phychos who are afraid to break the law.
I think the Delta Press Ltd is full of violent ads. It is all about guns, weapons, combat, firearms, etc. It is like promoting all of these violent things, and then people wonder why the 2 kids in the Coloumbine shooting did what they did. Violence is all around us, and I don't think it should be promoted the way it is. Like an ad "The Glock," which is the worlds greated gun book. I mean I can see why guns can interest people and how they would want to read and learn about guns, but I think these things have an influence on the violence all over the world.
I thought the catalog was really interesting. There are plays off of normal magazine titles like Gun Digest, and Guns Illustrated. I also think it's interesting they have this humor. I guess I don't find killing people and playing with guns funny. But even on the tshirts they are advertising that they have guns and will use them on you. I think it's scary. I've never been around guns and it's a strange concept to me.
I didn't even know there was such a catalog out there. This catalog sells books on how to disappear, how to kill someone, and how to break into someones house. Why the hell would you want to... well, I guess those people are out there. All I know is that this catalog should not get into the wrong hands. Otherwise all hell will break loose.
One crazy thing about the catalog is that the people who publish it (Michigan Militia) are proud of the fact that they are patriotic americans and not white supremacists, but what's with all the nazi propaganda for sale in their catalog? Didn't patriotic americans die to defeat nazi Germany? A little incoherent, huh?
Post a Comment
<< Home